Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Oatmeal, meet Avocado



My first oatmeal mask has, thus far, been my most successful one. In order to attempt a repeat, I gave another oatmeal-based mask a shot. But this one was green.
Here's the recipe (and 20 other variations):

2 Tablespoons Pureed Avocado
½ Cup Oatmeal
2-3 Tablespoons Water

My recipe suggestions:
If you don’t have a way to puree your avocado, give mashing it with a fork a try. I haven’t tried that myself, but it should be doable.

Combine the avocado and a tablespoon water before adding it to the oatmeal. This will make the avocado more easily dispersed. Continue to add water little by little until the mask is to the right consistency. I don’t know exactly how much water total I used, but it was probably more than the 2-3 recommended tablespoons.

How to use:
I spread it on my face using my fingers, then waited for 20 minutes.

Like the previous oatmeal mask, it was a little difficult to apply. Also follow my recommendations for how to wash an oatmeal-based mask off safely.

After the mask:
About 10 minutes in, the mask started to tighten on my skin and a few minutes later it began to tingle. If that sort of thing freaks you out, you may want to avoid this, but I thought it felt pretty good.

My face was definitely smoother after this and my skin felt calmed.

Cost: ½ Cup Quaker Oatmeal approx. $0.10
         2 Tablespoons mashed Avocado depends on your location and the season
         Water – If your landlord pays it like mine will in a few months when I move…it’s        
             free! (or rather, included in your rent)
Ease: Making the recipe—Because of the avocado mashing, this mask might prove a little more involved than a simple mix-n-go. But it still isn’t going to take long. Using the mask—A little difficult to get to “stick” and removal at the end requires some finesse but other than that, it’s as straightforward as any other.
Effectiveness: Softened my skin and left me feeling refreshed.
April Fools Possibilities: Endless. When this stuff dries it looks like… and in chunks, it looks like…like I said, the possibilities are endless.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Tried it? Love it? Hate it?