Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Ode to Honey Bees: Homemade Face Mask

Photo from http://amazinghoneybee.com/contact_us
Honey bees are a vital part of the ecosystem. Without them, pollination doesn’t occur, plants don’t grow and things collapse from there on up the food chain. Not to mention that without honey bees we wouldn’t have any honey!

Check out this article from AOL news about honey bees (and other declining creatures) in the recent years past. 

Honey is a fantastic natural skin care product because it is a humectant, which means it helps your skin retain moisture so it is soft, supple, and oh-so touchable. As an ode to the honey bees and all they do for us, this post’s face mask is honey-heavy.

The Recipe:
This recipe, in fact, it is so honey-heavy you might say that it is only honey! That’s right!
I got the recipe (if you can call it that?) from natural home remedies for life, which has a plethora of other face mask recipes you can try too!

My Recipe Suggestions:
I microwaved my honey because I didn’t want to play the hot water trick. It only took about ten seconds to get it quite hot (I let it cool a bit before applying it so it wouldn’t burn).

How to Use:
I applied with my fingers, which worked well but definitely resulted in sticky hands and random drips. A quick application that felt great as the honey calmed my skin with warmth and my senses with sweet scents. Watch for drips while you wait out the 15 minutes after applying!

After the Mask:
I expected a battle to get the sticky honey off at the end of this. However, I was pleasantly surprised when warm water did the trick without much work at all. My skin feels a little better to me, but doesn't feel better to the touch. This definitely made my skin appear more red for about 30 minutes after removal.

Cost: 1 oz honey approx. $0.20
Ease: This was so quick to make! One ingredient, ten seconds to microwave, apply and remove. Simple.
Effectiveness: Felt great while it was going on and there was a bit of pleasant tightening while the 15 minutes passed. Afterward, my skin felt good to me, but appeared more red than usual for about 30 minutes post-removal. This is a good quick-fix for a day when you want just a little extra something special for your skin, but isn’t a deep cleanse and isn't something you should do just before your date arrives to pick you up!
Honey Bee Ode: Sweet but not entirely effective. Maybe I'll leave saving the honey bees up to the experts.





4 comments:

  1. Here is one great honey based recipe:
    Honey-Coconut Oil Moisturizer

    Ingredients:

    1 tsp honey
    1 Tbsp coconut oil
    1 tsp lemon juice

    Instructions:

    Mix all the ingredients together.

    This can be used as a deep moisturizing treatment for dry skin. Apply it to your skin. Allow it to remain one for a minimum of 30 minutes. You can even leave it on your skin for several hours, if needed, depending on the condition of your skin.

    Refrigerate any unused portion. Do not keep for more than several days. Honey Masks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well this is good info for me. Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. when you microwave honey doesn't it kill the beneficial enzymes?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nope! Not if you don't heat it to or above 100 degrees F. And since it's going on your face, it really doesn't need to be that hot. Good question!

    ReplyDelete

Tried it? Love it? Hate it?