Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Cornmeal Face Mask Scrub

Ladies and gentlemen, we have a contender! After 6 homemade face masks, I’ve finally found one that can compete with the awesome oatmeal and honey face mask (which was my very first post). This cornmeal face mask scrub helped my skin feel so much better after several late nights and early mornings that were taking their toll on my face.

The Recipe:
This recipe is from a website all about organic, natural living called Care2. They have several different facials listed, but the one I chose includes cornmeal, honey, and yogurt.

My Recipe Suggestions:
The website doesn’t give proportions for the three ingredients. I used 1½  tablespoons cornmeal, ½ tablespoon yogurt and ½ tablespoon honey. I mixed these three together until they formed a thick paste. But feel free to experiment!

How to Use:
This face mask is a bit different from previous ones because it is also a natural facial scrub. To apply, then, I rubbed in gently in small circles on my face for thirty seconds. After this, I let it sit for fifteen minutes. As far as application goes, this mask may be the cleanest and easiest one so far. No mess, no fuss.

After the Mask:
Part of the easy of this mask is that I could rinse it off right into the sink. No messing around with clogging drains like some previous times (here, here, here...) I scrubbed it off gently while periodically splashing with water.






Cost: 1½ Tbsp Cornmeal – approx. $0.06
          ½ Tbsp honey – $0.05
          ½ Tbsp Yogurt – approx. $0.05
Ease: This is another one-dish mask that you can whip up in seconds. The measuring is relaxed too, so there’s no need to get stressed over anything with this one.
Effectiveness: So good! My skin feels so much softer now than it did before! This mask even helped smooth out some of the more obvious blemishes present.

Your Turn:
When I hear cornmeal, I immediately think cornbread. This makes me think of chili. What’s your favorite cornmeal food?

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for all of your great posts! (And for being willing to post your self-portraits, as well :)) I confess, I have not yet tried one of your suggested masks, but oatmeal is on my grocery list! Personally, I struggle with oily skin, so is there a specific mask (either that you've discussed on this blog or have run across in your research) that would help?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately, the masks that are for oily skin have been some of my least favorites. They are the banana mask and the strawberry one (the one that dyes your face pink!).
    However, the baking soda and aspirin masks were good and those ones should help with oily skin as well. Hope they work for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use cornmeal to make pancakes! :) Thanks!! gonna try it now!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh! Cornmeal pancakes?! I've never heard of such a thing.

    ReplyDelete

Tried it? Love it? Hate it?