Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Fight Acne with Strawberries?


Can a homemade strawberry face mask facial fight acne? Despite a few negative reviews from people who have tried this mask before, I decided to go for it and see what my own results were. All I can say is: they were right. RUN FOR THE HILLS, PEOPLE! (Well…sort of…)

The Recipe:
This recipe is once again from Julyne Derrick for about.com.  
It does involve some strawberry mashing, which was a but more time consuming than I had anticipated (of course, I had anticipated a very short time). It also feels a bit like making an Easter dessert, but who can complain about anything dessert-related?

My Recipe Suggestions:
I used sour cream for my mask, but I probably would have preferred to use yogurt if for no other reason than it smells better. As for the strawberry mashing, use a fork (I gave it a valiant effort with the back of a spoon...).

See how happy I am before the mask comes off?


How to Use:
Spread on and wait for 10 minutes. As this mask dried it turned brighter pink. This concerned me since a couple reviews mentioned face-dying. And frankly, I don’t want to be an Easter egg. But I stuck it out for the sake of saying I followed all the prescribed directions and giving the mask a fair shake.








After the Mask:
See how incredulous I am after?

This is the part where I panicked. Yup. Pink skin, but only where the mask had been. If you ever need to fake a sunburn or play a Wilber in Charlotte’s Web then this is the mask for you. Other than that, NOT GOOD.

After initial panic, I washed my face with copious amounts of water, applied my moisturizer and waited. Sure enough, given some time the pink face phenomenon faded (how’s that for alliteration?). But the emotional stress caused certainly isn’t worth the masks benefits (which even after the pink-dye faded weren’t stellar).




Ease: The strawberry mashing process takes a couple of minutes (and if your strawberries aren’t ripe, I imagine it would be even more difficult) but other than that it’s easy.
Effectiveness: NOT. My skin felt tingly and oh, yes, pink. I don’t know what you prefer for clear, happy skin but for me “pink” and “red” are words to avoid, even if it is only for an hour or so.

Your Turn:
This has been a wonderful internet-suggested fail for me. Has anyone else experienced a homemade, DIY failure before? Don’t say I’m alone in this!

3 comments:

  1. You look very incredulous indeed. I'll skip this mask.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your pictures are priceless. I hadn't thought about strawberries perhaps dyeing your skin. I suppose other berries would, too. When you've done all eleven masks, let me know: was this the worst one?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have finished! ...and I have to say, this one's probably one of the worst I tried. I think the banana face mask may have been a smidge worse just because it felt so awful while it was one my face, unlike this one. Maybe it's just something about my face not liking fruit very much?

    ReplyDelete

Tried it? Love it? Hate it?