Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Is Chocolate Bad for Your Face?

That's right! You guessed it! Today I tried a chocolate face mask.


I got the recipe for this face mask from here by Natasha Levitan.


Here's the recipe:
3.5oz Dark Chocolate
3 Tablespoons Salt
1 Cup Milk


Stir together the salt and milk until the salt is dissolved.
Melt the chocolate. Be careful not to burn it!
Combine the milk mixture with the melted chocolate with a whisk.


My recipe suggestions:
I cut the recipe by 2/3 so I used 1.2oz Dark Chocolate, 1 Tablespoon Salt, and 1/3 Cup Milk; this made more than enough for my one mask.


If your milk mixture is cold, it will cause the chocolate to harden. Hard chocolate doesn't mix well (big surprise, right?). If I were to do this again, I would warm the milk before adding it to the chocolate.




My mask ended up being very thin and watery. Perhaps adding more chocolate or less milk next time would be a good idea.



How to use:
I spread it on my face using my fingers, then waited for 15 minutes.


Be cautioned: when rinsing this mask off, make sure not to let it get in your mouth. I know it smells good, but don't be fooled. That tablespoon of salt really makes a statement.


After the mask:
There wasn't an immediate, obvious difference in how my skin felt. It seemed to be a little softer, but that was about it. The good news is, it was delightful to wear because it smelled good and felt relaxing on.


Cost: 1.2oz of Giant Hershey's Special Dark Chocolate bar appox. $0.38
             1/3 cup Milk approx. $0.06
             1 Tablespoon Salt approx. I have no idea, but the point is, not much.
Ease: Making the recipe--It isn't excessively complicated, but is slightly more involved than others I have tried. Using the mask--Prepare to get potentially messy! I had chocolate in my hair by the end of it (but wasn't complaining...who doesn't love the smell of chocolate?!)
Effectiveness: So-so. Perhaps a thicker, more chocolaty mask would have worked better.
Luxuriousness: Coating my face in dark chocolate made me feel like I was at one of those expensive spas where they give you desserts sprinkled with gold flakes.








BONUS: If you'd like to see my YouTube video about this mask, visit me here!



2 comments:

  1. What a fascinating idea! I have never heard of putting chocolate on one's face. Where did you get the idea? Also, do you know why it works, meaning, what is in the chocolate to help skin?

    Maybe if we all ate lots more chocolate our skin would be better... :)

    Hannah

    ReplyDelete

Tried it? Love it? Hate it?